Instant Pot Cocoa-Spiced Pork Roast
For the Seasoning
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- ½ tbsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3½ – 4 lb pork shoulder roast trimmed and cut into 4 pieces
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 large stalks celery chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1½ cup chicken broth preferably organic
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Remove the pork shoulder from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, but not more than 2 hours, before cooking. Set aside.
- Prepare the dry rub by combining all ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to combine and rub the dry rub into all sides of each pork shoulder section. Reserve one tablespoon of the rub for later use. Set the seasoned pork and reserved dry rub aside.
- Select the “Sauté” function on your Instant Pot® and add one tablespoon of olive oil once hot. Add the seasoned pork and sear on each side, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. (Work in two batches, if necessary). Transfer the pork to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil, along with the celery, carrots, and yellow onion. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to develop some colour and become fragrant, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add the broth and stir to combine, gently scrapping any brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon in the process. Turn the unit off.
- Return the prepared pork shoulder to the Instant Pot®. Add the bay leaves, rosemary, and thyme. Sprinkle the reserved tablespoon of dry rub on top and stir to combine. Add the lid and lock into place. Switch the vent to “Sealing” and set the “Manual” setting to 50 minutes.
- When the cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure, if necessary.
- Remove the lid and discard the bay leaves and woody stems from the rosemary and thyme. Transfer the pork roast to a serving platter and cover it to keep it warm. Set aside.
- With an immersion blender, blend the pan sauces until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired. Serve pork roast immediately with a choice of sides and topped with some of the warm sauce. Enjoy!
Members can add their own private notes to recipes!
Calories: 583kcalCarbohydrates: 6gProtein: 69gFat: 30gSaturated Fat: 9gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0.002gCholesterol: 233mgSodium: 1093mgPotassium: 1364mgFiber: 2gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 3747IUVitamin C: 7mgCalcium: 79mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!