Need a way to get some greens down your family? Well, this is the way. It’s not that hard to do either. Also, even if frying sort of takes the goodness out of them, it sure puts in the flavour. Hey, it’s better than battered Creme Eggs. Plus, it can get your family at least thinking about eating their veggies. Right?
Fried Green Beans (T.G.I. Fridays Green Bean Fries)
For the Dip
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- ½ cup cucumber peeled, seeded & chopped
- 1 tbsp horseradish drained
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 2 tsp wasabi powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- kosher salt
For the Beans
- 2 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- ½ lb trimmed green beans
- 1 egg large
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Pinch cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper freshly ground
- Peanut or vegetable oil for frying
Make the dip
- Using a blender, puree the dressing, cucumber, horseradish, milk, vinegar, wasabi powder, cayenne pepper, and salt to taste. Once it is smooth, cover and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Fix the beans
- Using a large bowl, fill it with ice water.
- In a saucepan over high heat, bring the broth to a boil.
- Stir in the green beans and cook them about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the beans. Transfer beans to the ice water to stop the cooking.
- Drain and pat them dry after they have cooled in the water.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the egg and milk with a whisk.
- In another bowl, add ½ cup flour.
- In yet another bowl, mix breadcrumbs, the other ½ cup flour, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste, blending well.
- Line parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Place the green beans in the flour, toss around to coat and then shake off the excess flour.
- Dip the beans one at a time in the egg mixture.
- Dredge the floured beans in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place each bean on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place pan in freezer for about 30 minutes, or until the coating is set.
- In a deep pot over medium heat, heat 3 inches of oil until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°F (150°C).
- Fry the green beans in batches for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Using tongs or a skimmer, transfer the beans to a stack of paper towels to drain.
- Serve along with the dip.
Members can add their own private notes to recipes!