You don’t need to visit a drive-through to enjoy one of America’s favourite guilty pleasures. The trick to this famous sandwich is the batter that the chicken is fried in. Of course, you can’t forget the pickle. Now you just have to grab some waffle fries from your grocer’s freezer and you are set.
Classic Fried Chicken Sandwich with Pickles (Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich)
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp pepper
- 1½ tsp paprika
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp malted milk
- 1 heaping tbsp icing sugar
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp softened butter
- 4 hamburger buns
- Jarred sliced pickles
- Split chicken breast into half horizontally to make 4 thin pieces. Tenderize with a meat mallet between two sheets of plastic wrap. Season chicken with ½ tsp pepper and ½ tsp paprika.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg and milk together.
- In another bowl, combine all-purpose and whole wheat flour, malted milk powder, icing sugar, baking soda, mustard powder, ½ tsp paprika, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper.
- Dip chicken into egg mixture, then dredge in flour mixture, coating both sides evenly.
- Carefully place each piece of chicken in the oil, one at a time. Fry the chicken in the hot oil until golden, about 4 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Spread butter on hamburger buns and toast lightly.
- Place pickles on a bun bottom, add chicken and cover with bun top.
Members can add their own private notes to recipes!