This flavorful and healthy Mediterranean-inspired dish is ready in less than twenty minutes. It features Italian gremolata – a simple green condiment made from a combination of fresh parsley, garlic, and lemon zest. This version also incorporates a nod to Moroccan cuisine with the addition of preserved lemon rind for a bit of extra flavour and visual interest.
Grilled Tuna Steaks with Preserved Lemon Gremolata
For the tuna steaks
- 4 6- oz sushi-grade tuna steaks approximately 3/4” thick
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Mediterranean sea salt to taste*
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 large lemons cut in half
For the gremolata
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves washed, dried thoroughly, and finely chopped
- 1 tsp organic lemon zest
- 2 tsp preserved lemon rind rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic grated
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Clean and spray grates of a gas grill with non-stick cooking spray and set heat to high. Close lid until grill comes to temperature.
- Meanwhile, prepare the gremolata by combining the parsley, lemon zest, preserved lemon rind, and garlic a small bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and set aside.
- Brush tuna steaks with olive oil and sprinkle with Mediterranean-spiced sea salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Open grill and place tuna steaks and lemon halves over direct heat. Cook tuna for 2 minutes per side for rare. Increase time slightly for medium, but do not overcook.
- Remove tuna and grilled lemon halves from heat and serve immediately topped with some gremolata.
Members can add their own private notes to recipes!