When it comes t oto BBQ sauces, there is a wide selection of varieties and flavours you can choose from. Some are hot and spicy, some are more aromatic and smokey. This recipe is slightly different as it combines the sweeter flavour of dark cherries and maple with the hint of warmth from the spices.
Quick and easy to make, your family and freinds will love this!
Instant Pot Homemade Dark Cherry BBQ Sauce
This flavour-packed BBQ sauce combines the natural sweetness of cherries and maple syrup with the welcoming warmth of ginger, cinnamon, and rosemary. For the best results, prepare this recipe one or two days in advance.Although it can be enjoyed immediately, this sauce comes into its own when the flavours are given time to fully develop.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic finely minced
- 2½ cup fresh or frozen dark cherries pitted
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies with liquid
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp fresh ginger finely minced
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 2 tsp liquid smoke optional
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot and select the “Sauté” function on the high-temperature setting. Add shallot and garlic and sauté until soft and slightly golden, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Turn Instant Pot off and add the remaining ingredients, including the liquid from the tomatoes and the liquid smoke, if using. Stir to combine and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Add lid and lock into place. Make sure the valve is set to the “Sealing” position and set the “Manual” setting to high for 10 minutes. After a brief pause, the Instant Pot will automatically start building pressure.
- When finished cooking, do a quick release (QR) of the pressure according to the manufacturer’s suggestions before unlocking and removing the lid.
- Transfer the sauce to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days.
Note: For a thicker sauce, return to the Instant Pot and bring to a low boil using the “Sauté” function set to high. Heat, stirring frequently until the excess liquid is reduced and the sauce reaches the desired consistency.
Members can add their own private notes to recipes!
Calories: 81kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 1gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.4gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gSodium: 18mgPotassium: 196mgFiber: 2gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 143IUVitamin C: 7mgCalcium: 27mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!