If you are vegan, you often have to compromise on flavour and texture. This recipe provides you with a tasty and nutritious side dish or even a main meal.
You can replace the tofu with either cooked chicken or pork if you prefer.
Pho Vegan Noodle Soup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 star anise roasted
- 2 2" cinnamon
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 2 medium onion chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 white radish chopped
- 300 g cabbage chopped
- 2 coriander roots
- 4 shiitake mushroom chopped
- 396 g tofu diced
- 3 l water
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper ground
- ½ tbsp mushroom sauce
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 4 oz noodles
- Set the pot and on the stove to medium heat, add oil.
- Saute the Star Anise and cinnamon for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the onion, shiitake mushrooms and carrot, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the coriander roots, white radish and cabbage.
- Add 3 litres of water and bring to a slow boil, cook for 30 minutes.
- At the end of the cooking time, add the soy sauce, then remove it from the stove.
- Remove the vegetables from the broth and set aside.
- Add the palm sugar, salt, black pepper and tofu.
- Simmer for a couple of minutes, then add the mushroom sauce, and soy sauce. Stir well and simmer for 2 – 4 minutes.
- Boil the noodles until soft and put them in the bowls.
- Pour in the tofu broth and serve.
Members can add their own private notes to recipes!