Whether it’s a Birthday, holiday, or just one-of-those-days, who needs an excuse to eat Chocolate Cake? You’ll love this triple layer cake oozing with delicious home-made Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.
Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 2½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2¼ cup boiling water
- 1 Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour 3 8” round cake pans, then line bottom with round parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until well blended.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the cocoa powder and boiling water in a medium bowl until well combined and no lumps remain.
- Alternating between the two, slowly add dry ingredients and chocolate mixture to the bowl with the butter and sugar. Mix on low speed to incorporate ingredients.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the three cake pans and place in the pre-heated oven. Bake 22-28 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool for approximately 10 minutes before transferring the cakes from the pans to a wire rack to cool completely, approximately 10-15 more minutes. (Cakes should no longer be warm to the touch before frosting).
- To assemble the cake, place the first layer top-side down on a cake plate. Add 1/3 of the frosting to the top of the cake layer and spread it out evenly.
- Take the second layer and level off the rounded top with a knife or cake leveler. Place the second layer on top of the first layer, top-side down.
- Add frosting to this layer and spread out evenly. Repeat this with the 3rd layer, and spread the remaining frosting out on the top layer. Slice and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Time-Saving Tip: Make the cakes the night before serving and cover the baking pans with foil or plastic wrap once cool to the touch. Cakes will be ready to frost the next day.
Calories: 5401kcalCarbohydrates: 839gProtein: 80gFat: 216gSaturated Fat: 130gPolyunsaturated Fat: 12gMonounsaturated Fat: 58gTrans Fat: 8gCholesterol: 1143mgSodium: 4108mgPotassium: 2032mgFiber: 39gSugar: 503gVitamin A: 6623IUCalcium: 577mgIron: 33mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!