This hearty meatless dish borrows elements from traditional Cuban black bean recipes, such as oregano, dried cumin, and bay leaves. However, it isn’t intended as a classic “authentic” interpretation.
Although not featured here, a tablespoon of tomato paste added prior to cooking would be a nice addition to the flavour profile of this recipe, especially if served as leftovers the next day.
Instant Pot® Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice
- 1 cup dried black beans rinsed and picked over
- 1 medium red pepper seeded and cut into large pieces
- ½ medium white onion cut into large pieces
- ½ tbsp dried oregano
- ½ tbsp dried cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp red pepper diced
- 3 tbsp avocado diced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 whole lime cut into wedges (optional)
- 3 cup cooked white or yellow rice
- Add the beans, red pepper, onion, oregano, dried cumin, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and bay leaves to Instant Pot®.
- Pour broth on top and add the lid. Set the pressure valve to “sealing” and select the “Manual” cooking option on the “High” setting. Set cook time to 32 minutes.
- When done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes, and then do a quick release of any remaining pressure.
- Turn the unit off and carefully remove the lid. Transfer the red pepper, onion, and ½ cup broth to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Pour pureed vegetable mixture back into the Instant Pot® and add red wine vinegar. Season with additional salt and black pepper, as desired, and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately over a bed of cooked rice, topped with chopped red pepper, avocado, and cilantro. Offer lime wedges, if desired. Enjoy!
The video contains images that were used under a Creative Commons License. Click here to see the full list of images and attributions: https://link.attribute.to/cc/2030744