A lot of people think Chicken Marsala is an Indian dish, but it is an Italian-American dish consisting of golden pan-fried chicken cutlets and mushrooms in a rich Marsala wine sauce.
The name for the sauce comes from Marsala, which is a brandy-fortified wine from Sicily.
Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
For the Seasoning
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- I½ tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
For the Chicken Breasts
- 2 lb chicken breasts boneless, pounded to ¼“ thick
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 oz baby Portobello mushrooms sliced
- ½ medium red onion chopped
- ¾ cup sweet Marsala wine
- ¾ cup chicken broth preferably organic
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 4 oz cream cheese room temp and cut into chunks
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- Combine the coconut flour, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder in a medium bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired, and stir to combine.¼ cup coconut flour, I½ tbsp Italian seasoning, 1 tsp garlic powder, Sea salt and black pepper
- Place the chicken breasts in a one-gallon plastic freezer bag and pour the seasoned flour mixture on top. Seal the bag and turn it several times until the chicken is evenly coated.2 lb chicken breasts
- Select the “Sauté” function on your Instant Pot® and set it to high. Add one tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, remove the chicken from the bag and shake off the excess flour mixture. Add enough chicken to cover the bottom without overcrowding. Work in batches, if necessary.2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 2 lb chicken breasts
- Brown the chicken on each side, approximately 3 minutes per side. Remove and repeat with the remaining chicken, adding more olive oil as necessary for each batch.
- Add the butter to Instant Pot®. Once melted the butter has melted, add the Portobello mushrooms and red onion. Cook, stirring frequently until the mushrooms turn brown and the onions soften approximately 5-6 minutes.2 tbsp unsalted butter, 8 oz baby Portobello mushrooms, ½ medium red onion
- Add the Marsala wine and chicken broth and deglaze the bottom of the cooking container by gently scraping up the brown bits with a plastic spatula.¾ cup sweet Marsala wine, ¾ cup chicken broth
- Turn the Instant Pot® off and add the browned chicken to the pot and cover. Lock the lid and set the pressure valve to “Sealing.” Press the “Manual” button and adjust the setting to “high.” Set cook time to 10 minutes.
- When the cook time is finished, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure. Turn the unit off and remove the lid. Transfer chicken to a serving platter and rest for 5 minutes.
- To make the sauce, temper heavy cream with approximately 2 tablespoons of the hot liquid from Instant Pot®. Once tempered, add the heavy cream, cream cheese, and chopped parsley to the pot. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.¼ cup heavy cream, 4 oz cream cheese, ¼ cup fresh parsley, Sea salt and black pepper
- Top each chicken breast with some of the creamy mushroom sauce and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Members can add their own private notes to recipes!