The classic British afternoon tea with a twist. These orange and cranberry scones take the traditional fruit scone recipe and take it to the next level. There is just the right amount of sweetness from the orange to compliment the tangy taste of cranberries.
You may not want to go back to the standard raisin scones again!
Orange & Cranberry Scones
- 2 cup all-purpose flour + ¼ cup for work surface
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter
- ½ cup double cream
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp orange extract
- 1 tsp orange zest preferably organic
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- Line a large, rimmed baking parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- Mix two cups flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut in butter with fork until butter is in pea-sized pieces.
- In a separate bowl, combine the double cream, sour cream, egg, vanilla extract, orange extract, and orange zest. Whisk to combine.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined. Add in the craisins and stir until just mixed.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of flour onto a clean work surface. Transfer scone batter onto floured surface and lightly knead into a ball. Press the dough down into a ½” high rectangle (approximately 6” x 10”). Cut in half lengthwise, and then each half into 3 rectangles. Then, cut each rectangle diagonally to create triangle-shaped pieces.
- Transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet, leaving 1-2” between them. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F (205°C), then add the baking sheet to oven when ready. Bake the scones for 18-22 minutes, or until they are nicely golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes.
- While the scones are cooling, prepare the orange glaze by stirring the powdered sugar and orange juice together in a small bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Serve the scones warm drizzled with some of the orange glaze on top. Enjoy!
Members can add their own private notes to recipes!
Calories: 284kcalCarbohydrates: 40gProtein: 3gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 169mgPotassium: 52mgFiber: 1gSugar: 22gVitamin A: 435IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 80mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!