Chorizo & Red Lentil Soup
- 12 oz. chorizo sausage links
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large carrot Chopped small
- 1 large stalk celery Chopped small
- 1 medium yellow onion Chopped small
- Sea salt and black pepper To taste
- 6 cup Chicken broth
- 2 cup red lentils Well rinsed
- 1 15- oz. can diced tomatoes With liquid
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 2 inch Parmesan cheese rind Optional
- ¼ cup fresh basil Chopped
- 3 tsp Parmesan cheese Freshly grated
- Brown Chorizo sausage links in a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Once browned, remove sausage from skillet and cut into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to skillet and add the chopped carrot, celery, and onion. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables soften and develop some colour, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Return sausage to skillet, along with the chicken stock, red lentils, diced tomatoes, oregano, garlic powder, thyme, bay leaves, and Parmesan rind, if using.
- Stir to combine and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to medium-low. Cover with a tilted lid and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until just until the lentils are tender.
- Remove from heat and discard the bay leaves and remaining Parmesan rind. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Stir in fresh basil and serve immediately, topped with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
Money-Saving Tip: Use a combination of broth and water instead of just broth. *Adding a section of Parmesan rind to homemade soup is a great way to instil additional flavour to your recipes.
Calories: 664kcalCarbohydrates: 77gProtein: 42gFat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 1967mgPotassium: 1565mgFiber: 30gSugar: 12gVitamin A: 3270IUVitamin C: 34mgCalcium: 156mgIron: 10mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!