Shrimp Saganaki is a quick and easy Greek appetizer that is often served with crusty bread to scoop up the savoury tomato sauce. For a gluten-free main course, serve on a bed of cooked courgette (zucchini) noodles, rice, or quinoa instead.
Shrimp Saganaki is a quick and easy Greek appetizer that is often served with crusty bread to scoop up the savoury tomato sauce.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup Kalamata olives chopped
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp dried Greek oregano dried
- ½ tsp red chili flakes crushed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 lb large 16/20 ct. shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley leaves chopped and divided
- 4 oz Feta cheese crumbled
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion softens and starts to turn golden brown.
- Add white wine to deglaze the bottom of the skillet, scraping up any brown bits with a spatula.
- Reduce heat to medium and add crushed tomatoes, olives, dill, oregano, and red chili flakes. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp and 2 tablespoons of the parsley. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until shrimp just turns pink. Do not overcook the shrimp.
- Remove from heat and adjust seasonings, to taste. To serve, transfer to a serving dish and top with remaining fresh parsley and crumbled Feta cheese. Enjoy!
For a gluten-free main course, serve on a bed of cooked courgette (zucchini) noodles, rice, or quinoa instead.
Members can add their own private notes to recipes!
Calories: 2709kcalCarbohydrates: 395gProtein: 86gFat: 85gSaturated Fat: 26gPolyunsaturated Fat: 9gMonounsaturated Fat: 45gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 2940mgPotassium: 2740mgFiber: 29gSugar: 41gVitamin A: 3061IUVitamin C: 67mgCalcium: 951mgIron: 15mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!